Eligibility & How to Apply

A woman touches the shoulder of another woman to console her as they stand in a park. Both are masked.

Am I eligible for GPA?

Rhode Island residents who are age 18 and over can apply for GPA. To be eligible, a person must:

  • Have an illness, injury, or medical condition that is expected to last 30 days or more and prevents a person from working
  • Have a monthly income limit of $327/month for an individual and $449/month for a couple
  • Have resources $400 or less
  • Have only one automobile with a value of less than $4,650
  • Cannot be eligible for other federal assistance programs, except for SNAP benefits (food stamps)
  • Cannot have a child under 18 living with the applicant
  • Cannot be pregnant

Who isn't eligible? 

  • Any individual who has been determined eligible for SSI
  • Any individual who is eligible or who would, but for income and resources, be eligible for Rhode Island Works (RIW) program cash assistance
  • Certain persons who are in the care of, confined by, or in the custody of another State Agency such as: the Department of Corrections, the Department of Children, Youth and Families or the Department of Behavioral Healthcare, Developmental Disabilities & Hospitals (BHDDH)

How much can I receive? 

  • GPA-Bridge recipients may receive up to $200 per month while their federal SSI application is pending
  • GPA-Hardship recipients may receive up to $100 per month ($50 bi-weekly)
  • GPA-Burial recipients can receive up to $900 for burial service costs

How long can I get GPA for?

Once eligibility is determined for GPA applicants, initial eligibility:

  • may be granted for a period of up to six (6) months and/or
  • renewable for a period of up to an additional six (6) months

In order to receive GPA for a period greater than twelve (12) months, individuals must re-apply for General Public Assistance.

How do I apply? 

  • You can apply using the online Customer Portal, by phone (number below) or by filling out a paper application. All can be found on our Apply Now page. 
  • The state’s Medical Assistance Review Team (MART) must also determine whether the applicant is disabled before being approved for GPA-Bridge.

What do I need to do for financial assistance through GPA-Burial?

Here is a helpful checklist for families and individuals applying for GPA-Burial

GPA Burial Application Fillable Form

Here is a helpful checklist to help funeral homes with GPA-Burial assistance

GPA Burial Funeral Home Checklist Fillable Form

How do I appeal? 

Find out how to appeal here

For more information...

Call 1-855-MY-RIDHS (1-855-697-4347) or TTY 1-800-745-5555 (for hearing impaired).